Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Sushir Rahaman

Love Story

The bench in the mall was cold when I sat down.

I saw her then.

Holding on to the railing she was trying to immerse herself in the dawn’s radiance. Her gaze seemed to weave tendrils of love around my heart. They started strangling me when she smiled.

And then she jumped.

I followed suit.

-----------------------------------------

The 55-second call

[ The 8 digits fly off through the wires with the same expectation ]

Hello?

Yes?

It’s me.

‘Me’ who?

Don’t you remember me?

Who are you?

Are you trying to ignore me?

I don’t know who you are. Why do you keep phoning?

So...you recognized me...Why did you lie?

I don’t love you anymore.

------------------------------------------

Rain, rain come again!

It was raining.

The wind seemed to sweep off the droplets which doused every inch of what was in sight.

I was soaked.

It didn’t matter.

Lying down, all I could see was the shy moon running from cloud to cloud.

The rail tracks had started to hum by then.

The wait was over now.