Sunday, October 16, 2005

Mint Chutney

1.

“I’m happy for you, I really am” her voice cracked as she whispered into the phone.

“You were right. I need to make a clean start”. He admired the new, shiny, gold band on his finger.

She immediately prepared the mental checklist for the swift, emotional withdrawal she was about to initiate.

Go numb. Check.


____________________________________________________




Destiny (Part 1)

Will I live? The elderly patient with the broken foot smiled as she checked his pulse.

You’ll outlive me, she laughed.

Across the room, the man with pneumonia watched their interaction. That’s the woman I’m gonna marry he tells his nurse.

The nurse politely nods as she adds an order for a brain scan.


Destiny (Part 2)

The elderly man walked past the row of grave markers in quiet anticipation.

His grandson waits patiently by the car wondering who held grandpa’s admiration enough to travel an ocean to visit.

The old man sobs as he reaches her headstone. A lifetime of could-have-beens flood his heart and soul. Hello my love, he whispers.